Long-distance relationships can be tough, but they don’t have to be.
With the right hobbies and activities, you and your partner can stay connected, have fun, and strengthen your relationship despite the distance.
Whether you’re looking for something romantic, fun, or just a way to pass the time, there are plenty of hobby ideas out there that are perfect for long-distance couples.
Hobbies for Long Distance Couples
Being in a long distance relationship can be tough, but finding hobbies to do together can help bring you closer and make the distance feel less daunting.
Here are some hobbies that you and your partner can enjoy together, no matter how many miles apart you are.
One of the most important things in a long distance relationship is staying connected. Communication-based hobbies can help you feel closer and build stronger bonds. You can try:
- Starting a book club and reading the same book together
- Sharing photos and videos through Snapchat or Instagram
- Writing letters or emails to each other
- Recording voice messages for each other
- Starting a couple’s podcast where you discuss topics that interest you both
Creative hobbies can be a great way to express yourselves and share your passions with each other. You can try:
- Painting or drawing together
- Taking a dance class or learning a new style of dance
- Learning a new language together
- Baking and sharing recipes with each other
- Starting a YouTube channel where you share your creative projects
Staying active and healthy is important, even when you’re in a long distance relationship. Active hobbies can help you stay fit and have fun together. You can try:
- Going for a jog or run at the same time
- Taking up hiking or camping and sharing your experiences with each other
- Playing tennis or other sports together online
- Trying out a new workout routine together
- Going snorkeling or scuba diving when you’re together in person
Traveling may be difficult in a long distance relationship, but that doesn’t mean you can’t explore new places together. You can try:
- Planning a road trip for when you’re together in person
- Visiting museums or art galleries online
- Going on virtual tours of different cities or landmarks
- Watching travel documentaries or shows together
- Exploring your own cities and sharing photos with each other
Long distance relationships can be stressful, so it’s important to take time to relax and unwind. Relaxing hobbies can help you both de-stress and feel more connected. You can try:
- Meditating or practicing yoga together
- Sending each other care packages with relaxing items like candles or bath bombs
- Going to a spa or getting a massage when you’re together in person
- Trying out adult coloring books or doing other arts and crafts together
- Having a movie night or binge-watching a TV show together on Netflix
Learning new things together can be a great way to bond and grow as a couple. You can try:
- Taking an online course or class together
- Learning how to cook a new cuisine or dish
- Trying out a new board game or video game together
- Mentoring or volunteering together for a cause you both care about
- Stargazing and learning about astronomy together
Long distance relationships can be expensive, but there are plenty of hobbies you can enjoy together without breaking the bank. You can try:
- Going to a flea market or thrift store and finding unique items
- Cooking meals together over video chat
- Refinishing furniture or doing DIY projects together
- Starting a garden or doing some potting together
- Going birdwatching or exploring nature trails together
Finally, don’t forget to keep the romance alive in your long distance relationship. You can try:
- Sending e-cards or love letters to each other
- Taking ballroom dancing classes together online
- Having a wine tasting night or trying out new cocktails together
- Going to a theater production or musical when you’re together in person
- Taking up photography and capturing special moments to share with each other.
No matter what hobbies you choose to do together, the most important thing is to stay connected and make time for each other.
Remember, long distance relationships can be difficult, but they can also be rewarding, providing the opportunity to experience personal growth, appreciate each other more, and build a stronger bond. So, make sure to prioritize your hobbies and spend quality time together, even if you are miles apart.
For more information and ideas on hobbies for long distance couples, check out Courtly’s 20 Fun Things To Do in a Long Distance Relationship and Defeating Divorce’s 31 Ridiculously Fun Hobbies For Couples To Do Together.